This article provides facts and figures on violence against women to illustrate the devastating toll on women’s lives, on their families, and on society as a whole. It provides a specific breakdown for each of the following:
- Domestic and Intimate Partner Violence
- Sexual Violence
- Harmful Traditional Practices
- Female Genital Mutilation (Fgm)
- Dowry Murder
- "Honor Killings"
- Early Marriage
- Trafficking In Women and Girls
- HIV/Aids and Violence
- Crimes against Women in Situations of Armed Conflict
- Violence against Women as a Human Rights Violation
This fact sheet includes worldwide sexual assault statistics along with their resources. It also gives a more specific figure breakdown for each of the following: The United States, Africa, Russia, South Pacific, Canada, Europe, Asia, and South America.
Highlighted statistics include:
- 1 out of 3 women worldwide has experienced rape or sexual assault.
- It is estimated that 1 in 3 American women will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.
This site is supported by Grant/ Cooperative Agreement No. 1UF2CE002359-02 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.