For the 14th consecutive year, Wheelock College is offering a very
popular summer institute on the role that the media (television,
magazines, advertising, pornography, video games and music videos) plays in shaping our gender identity, our intimate relationships, our children's lives, and ultimately our culture. The institute is taught by Dr Gail Dines, author of Pornography: The Production and Consumption of Inequality, and Dr. Diane Levin, author of the forthcoming So Sexy So Soon.
Participants will learn:
- How media violence affects behavior and contributes to violence in society
- How media images perpetuate and legitimize sexism, racism,
consumerism and economic inequality
- How political and economic forces shape the media
- How media affects children's ideas about sexual behavior and
relationships with others
- How to critically deconstruct media images and develop media literacy skills
- How to become active in advocacy, community building and grass roots organizing
As a way to accommodate the needs of the participants, this year two days of the institute will be split into the following tracks:
1. Fighting the porn culture: how to think about and organize against the increasing pornification of our society. Led by Dr. Gail Dines,
with guest lectures by feminist educators and activists
2. Combating the hazards of media culture: how to work with children and teachers in a classroom setting.
- Price for non-credit institute: $475 (special rate for organizations
sending more than one person)
- Price for three graduate credits: $2,025
- Price for single dorm room at Wheelock: $35 per night/double is $45 per room
- The institute runs from 9am-5pm, Tuesday through Friday, with
optional evening events
For fee-paying applicants only, please go to:
If you need to apply for a scholarship to cover cost of the
institute/training, don't click on the link above. Instead, please
write a one-paragraph application that includes the following:
- History of your involvement with these issues, if any
- Reasons you want to attend the institute/training
- What you hope to do in the future with the information
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org  by May 15. Applicants will receive an answer by May 20th.
For everyone who needs a dorm room at the college, please let the conference organiaers know so that they can reserve one for you.