Chief Operating Officer
An early stage Internet software company, focused on delivering educational technology to higher education is seeking a Chief Operating Officer. Alegria Technologies was founded in 2013 by Dr. Penny Smith, an innovative and experienced higher education administrator. The company name, Alegria, means “Joy” in Spanish and symbolizes the products being developed for the purpose of helping victims of violence cope with trauma and regain their joy. Alegria Technologies’ mission is to provide violence prevention technology products to higher education.
The inaugural product is a web-based software as a service that functions as a campus sexual assault intervention tool. The product called, Keys to Coping, allows college campus survivors of sexual assault an opportunity to compile personalized information that can be used with healthcare providers, university administrators or law enforcement. The computer software, now in beta testing stage is scheduled for market launch by January 2015.
The ideal COO would be someone who has the right mix of leadership, passion to end the culture of sexual violence, start-up company experience, business savvy, entrepreneurial spirit, innovative nature, and ideally a solid Rolodex in the higher education software sales industry. The ideal COO would also be able to move warm sales leads to confirmed repeat customers.
Since the team currently consists of contract Account Representatives, the COO will initially have hands-on responsibility for company operations, the overall growth strategy, staffing, and marketing and sales efforts. The ideal candidate will have been successful in startup companies (or will have learned from previous failures).
Focus During the First Six Months:
• Deploy software in 20 higher education institutions nationwide
• Plot expansion strategy
• Hire additional sales and business development personnel
• Create an appropriate short/long term vision
• Develop short/long term company and product roadmap.
• Oversee operating plan, budget, cash flow, and company finances.
• Build and lead an effective and cohesive management team to include all company employees, while establishing a basic personnel policy, initiating and monitoring policies relating to personnel actions and training and professional development programs.
• Build and motivate a world-class sales and marketing team.
• Responsible for all elements of HR, employee compensation plans, and benefits.
• Ensure company objectives and standards of performance are not only understood but owned by management and employees.
• Ensure company and its businesses comply with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and, where appropriate, best practices.
• Establish, achieve, and report on milestones to the company’s owners and founding members.
• 3-5 years of senior level management experience.
• Passion to eliminate the culture of sexual violence.
• Prior experience in sales and/or leadership efforts at a startup company.
• Prior CEO/COO experience desired.
• 2+ years of strategic sales and marketing experience, ideally dealing with software marketed to higher education.
• Experienced entrepreneur who has taken at least one startup from seed
round all the way to an investor’s exit strategy is desired.
• Excellent leadership, negotiation, management, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Track record of building innovative, creative, and collaborative teams.
• Strong desire to lead from a strategic and tactical perspective in all aspects of day to day company operations.
• Strong undergraduate and/or graduate academic credentials preferred
Compensation is negotiable and will be based on industry-standard salary and options for early stage companies. Salary will begin when the fund raising round is complete. The compensation plan will include performance-based incentives and stock options.
Please submit a CV/Resume and contact information for three references by email. Review of resumes will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.