RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — MySpace says about 90,000 sex offenders have been identified and removed from its huge social networking website.
North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper said Tuesday the new figure is nearly double what MySpace officials originally announced last year.
Cooper and Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal have led efforts to make social networking websites safer. MySpace executives sent the updated numbers to Blumenthal's office Tuesday.
Last year, the attorneys general got MySpace and rival Facebook to implement dozens of safeguards. That included limits on older users' ability to search the profiles of members under 18.
This site is supported by Grant/ Cooperative Agreement No. 1UF2CE002359-01 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.