Project Walk Across Oregon
What: Walk Across Oregon to raise awareness about child sex abuse.
Where: We will start in Ashland, Oregon, on September 1, 2008, and end in Portland tentatively on September 29, 2008.
Who: Survivors of sex abuse and clergy abuse, family members or survivors and supporters from the community.
- - Wintre's Wishes ( http://www.wintreswishes.org/)
- - Compassionate Gathering (http://www.compassionategathering.org/)
- - National Association to Prevent Sex Abuse of Children (http://sapn.nonprofitoffice.com/)
Why: We want to inspire people across Oregon into action to prevent child sex abuse and care for the survivors of sex
abuse. Our ideas include:
1. Raising funds to provide therapy for survivors of child sex abuse through Wintre's Wishes Foundation
2. Providing private support, group support and community support for survivors of child sex abuse
3. Building support for a House Bill that will come before the legislature in early 2009 to raise the statute of limitations
on certain sex crimes including child sex abuse to twenty-five years.
What Else Can We Do?
Contact Virginia Jones, childhood sex abuse and rape survivor and spokeswoman for the Walk Across Oregon, co-founder of Compassionate Gathering, cell: 503-866-6163 & e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Matt Nees, Co-founder, Wintre's Wishes Foundation, email@example.com or 503-780-1965.
Special Guest: Steve Fearing is the survivor of clergy sex abuse whose lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Portland lasted nine years and set legal precedent in the state of Oregon allowing survivors of sex abuse to file civil lawsuits against their abusers within three years of realizing that they were harmed by the abuse they suffered as children. Steve can be contacted at his e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations are accepted. Survivors and supporters are welcome to join the walk at any point along the way.