Building Bridges Across Disciplines: Developing Safe and Accessible Services
The Vera Institute of Justice—Accessing Safety Initiative and the U.S. Department of Justice—Office on Violence Against Women are pleased to host Building Bridges Across Disciplines: Developing Safe and Accessible Services for Survivors of Domestic and Sexual Violence who have Disabilities or who are Deaf.
This two-day conference will provide information to assist organizations and communities to better meet the needs of individuals with disabilities and Deaf individuals who have experienced domestic and sexual violence. In addition, there will be foundational information on disability, Deaf culture, and violence against women that is necessary to effectively work at the intersection of these issues. The conference will feature an array of experts in the fields of violence against women, disability and Deaf services, as well as those working at the intersection.
Training opportunities will focus on the intersection of violence against women and survivors with disabilities and Deaf survivors. Participants will:
1. Gain a foundational understanding of violence against women, disability or Deaf culture, to compliment your current area of expertise.
2. Develop practical skills to make victim services more accessible and disability organizations more responsive to the unique safety needs of survivors with disabilities and Deaf survivors.
3. Obtain information on working within interdisciplinary collaborations in order to improve systems for survivors with disabilities and Deaf survivors.
This conference is designed to assist:
1. Individuals to gain practical skills to serve survivors with disabilities and Deaf survivors.
2. Organizations to build their capacity to meet the unique needs of survivors with disabilities and Deaf survivors.
3. Communities to build collaborations between victim services and disability organizations and, ultimately, improve the systems serving survivors with disabilities and Deaf survivors.
Who should attend? Staff of:
· Disability Organizations & Deaf Service Organizations
· Domestic Violence Organizations
· Sexual Assault Organizations
· Other Social Service Providers with an interest in this area
· Multiple organizations from the same community are encouraged to attend together to foster collaboration!
NO REGISTRATION FEE!