Superbowl Sunday – The Perfect Teachable Moment
Dear Engaged Bystander: Jackson Katz wrote a wonderful article for the Huffington Post called “What to Say to Boys and Men about Big Ben.” In the article, he outlines 11 excellent points about how to talk about Ben Roethlisberger, the star quarterback of the Pittsburg Steelers. For those of you who might not remember, Mr Roethlisberger was accused of raping a young woman in a bar bathroom while his bodyguards stood outside to prevent anyone from going in.
- Leadership, on and off the field
- Taking responsibility to stand up to people who mistreat others
- The role that teammates and friends can play in preventing sexual violence
- Did you hear about the incident? What was your reaction? Does your reaction change or would you feel differently if the woman was your best friend, your sister, or your daughter?
- What did you think about his suspension for four games at the beginning of the season? Are there other ways that the NFL could have sent a strong message that sexual violence is not acceptable?
- If the Pittsburg Steelers wanted to take on a leadership role in the fight against sexual violence, what could they do with the national focus on their time during the Superbowl?