Hero saves 8 year old girl from kidnapper
Dear Engaged Bystander: We say it rarely happens, but sometimes a stranger does show up and takes a girl right from her front yard. As a parent, I can say that this is my worst nightmare. In Fresno this week, Gregoria Gonzalez pulled up in an old pick up truck and grabbed an 8 year old girl from her front yard while she was playing with friends.
- The first bystander action -- some of the neighbors saw Gregoria pull up in his pickup truck and when it was clear that he was going to do something they yelled for the girls who were playing in the front yard to run. The other girls did get away safely.
- The second bystander action -- when Gegoria grabbed the girl and pulled her into his truck, a neighbor chased him and eventually lost the truck, but he did get a partial license plate number.
- The third bystander action – someone gave the police survellience camera footage that had photos of the truck that could be aired on TV.
- The fourth bystander action – when Victor jumped into his truck to give chase, his cousin got on the phone to call 911 and let the police know that the truck had been spotted.
- The fifth bystander action – after the girl was returned to her mother, other people in a town nearby tipped the police which led to the arrest of Gregoria Gonzalez.